Is ingesting a magic mushroom give you a stronger hallucinogenic high compared to drinking shroom tea? Kind of. While psilocybin is somewhat immune against hot water temperatures of 100°C (212°F) and higher, the combination of steeping tea in hot water can affect the chemical’s potency.
As for psilocin? Forget about it. That ingredient degrades instantly in hot water regardless even without the presence of tea steeping. You can even avail of potent teabags for shroom tea making. However, most people prefer do-it-yourself magic mushroom tea making.
The Benefits of Drinking Shroom Tea
- Lose Some of the Active Ingredients: Even though it’s true that some of the active ingredients degrade in boiling water while steeped with teabags, you do gain some amazing flavor while also getting a kick out of it the more you drink the tea. Your perception will still get distorted.
- Nausea Reduction: On top of herbal tea benefits such as better circulation and improved respiratory function, the potent shrooms in shroom tea will also give you immediate nausea removal. If find the flavor of shrooms hard to stomach, you can drink them instead in tea form.
- Ingredients List of Shroom Tea: When making shroom tea, you need 5 grams of dry psilocybe cubensis shrooms, 2 teacups of water (about 350 to 400 mL), 2 teabags of herbal or decaffeinated tea (lemon or ginger flavored), a spoon of honey, and a few scratches of ginger.
- Optional Lemon Juice and Equipment: Add lemon juice to the tea for better citrus taste and processing of the active hallucinogenic chemicals of the shrooms. You should also have a big mixing bowl, saucepan or kettle, coffee grinder or pestle and mortar, and tea strainer.
- Making Your First Shroom Tea: First off, use the coffee grinder to grind the dried shrooms into small pieces. Don’t turn them into powder; just grate them into tinier pieces than before. This way, you’ll enhance shroom area, thus allowing maximum contact with the tea for potency.
- Put in Boiling Water: Place the ground mushroom in the cup then pour 2 cups of water into a saucepan or kettle in order to bring the water into a boil. Afterwards, pour the water into the cup full of shrooms. Now add the teabag with the cup full of shroom bits and hot water.
- Steeping Tea and Shrooms: To get the best results, let the teabag and ground shrooms steep for 10 to 13 minutes. Afterwards, remove the teabag and filter everything using a coffee filter or strainer. No, don’t put the mushroom bits along with the steeped tea water.
- Boil the Second Cup of Water: You got two cups of water instead of just one, right? Boil the other cup of water. Also, mix a teaspoon of honey and a little ginger (this is optional) with the shroom tea. We recommend adding lemon juice for good measure.
- Make a Second Cup of Shroom Tea: Remove the water after boiling then let it sit for about 20 seconds. Put the newly boiled water into the filtered ground-up mushroom cup and tea. Add a second tea bag. Allow them to steep for 10 to 12 minutes. Filter this new tea as well.